The Windows message “We couldn’t install some updates because the PC was turned off” could be extremely frustrating to see. This error could be caused by a number of issues, such as corrupted or missing Windows Updates, third-party antivirus software, or another application running in the background. We show users how to fix “We couldn’t install some updates because the PC was turned off” in a few easy steps!
We Couldn’t Install Some Updates
There are a few different methods to solve this error message. Before getting started with the methods below, simply try rebooting your PC to determine if Windows will automatically complete the Update process. Additionally, it is recommended that you disable your third-party antivirus software and check if the system can update.
Method 1: Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder
If you are still not able to complete the Windows Update, we recommend deleting the content inside the SoftwareDistribution folder by following these steps:
1. Open the Start Menu.
2. Next, search for CMD, right-click the application, and select Run as administrator.
3. Stop the Windows Services by entering in the following commands, hitting Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv net stop bits net stop crptsvc
4. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder:
5. Highlight all of the content by pressing Ctrl + A. Right click the folders and click Delete.
Note: If you are not able to delete all of the files, simply restart your computer and try the steps again.
6. Next, reopen the CMD by following steps 1 & 2.
7. Start the Windows Services by entering in the following commands, hitting Enter after each one:
net start wuauserv net start bits net start crptsvc
8. Open the start menu and search Check for updates.
9. Finally, click Check for Updates.
Windows should now check for updates and successfully install them without any error messages.
Method 2: Automate the Windows Update Services
Next, automating the the Windows Update Service could help solve the error “We couldn’t install some updates because the PC was turned off.”
1. Open the Start Menu and search for Services.
2. Next, scroll down to Windows Update, right click, and select Properties.
3. Next, change the Startup Type to Automatic. Ensure the application is running by clicking Start, then simply click Apply and OK.
Finally, restart your computer and Windows should successfully check for updates.
Method 3: Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter
If you are still unable to successfully install Windows updates, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter to detect and fix any problems. To run the troubleshooter:
- Open the Start Menu and search for Troubleshoot settings.
- Next, click Additional Troubleshooters at the bottom of the window, and select Windows Update.
- Run the Troubleshooter.
Finally, follow the instructions on the screen and Windows should be able to resolve any problems. Once complete, restart your computer and the system should be updated without any further issues.
Following the methods above, users should now be able to install Windows updates without any error messages. If you are still unable to install a windows update, it is recommended that you run a full system scan with an antivirus program. We hope to have answered the common question of how to fix “We couldn’t install some updates because the PC was turned off”. If you have any questions or feedback, leave a comment below!